The Bernese Oberland region of Switzerland has some of the best scenery in the world and is unique in offering so many opportunities to travel by various forms of public transport up the mountains and accross the lakes. We will use a Regional Pass to take advantage of the best that the system has to offer
Your door to door service will transfer you to the airport for your flight to , a local coach will transfer you to the Aeschi Park Hotel, our base for the next 9 nightsD
On six of the days our Tour Manager will lead us on excursions using the public transport system. Each day will start on the local bus to Spiez station from where we continue by train, mountain railway and Lake steamer:
* By bus and train to the town of Thun with free time to explore the historic central area before taking a boat the full length of Lake Thun to the international resort of Interlaken. We will have time to wander along the Hohweg with its grand hotels on one side and views to the Eiger, Monch and Jungfrau mountains on the other.
* Travel by funicular railway at a gradient of up to 1 in 1.4 to the top of the Niesen Mountain. From the top (7,750ft) there are spectacular views down onto Lake Thun and across the mountain slopes to Aeschi. After time at the top we descend to the valley and join a conventional train which climbs up the Kander Valley to the resort of Kandersteg. There will be time here to explore the town or travel by cable car to the beautiful Lake Oeschinen before returning to Aeschi. An alternative is to stay on the train at Kandersteg and travel through the Lotchsberg Tunnel to spend some time in the town of Brig in the Rhone VAlley.
* A longer round trip by train as we travel from Spiez to the Swiss capital of Berne. We have free time to explore the historic arcaded central streets before continuing by train through the tranquil Emmental to the lakeside city of Lucerne. After a break we join a narrow gauge train for a scenic journey over the Brunig Pass and along the shore of Lake Brienz to Interlaken.
* To Interaken where we join a boat for a trip on Lake Brienz through outstanding scenery to the village of Brienz. Here we change to the rack railway for an ascent up the Brienzer Rothorn Mountain (7,700ft). Wonderful views from the top across to the Eiger, Monch and Jungfrau mountains and down onto the whole expanse of Lake Brienz.
* Via Interlaken to Wilderswil where we change onto the rack railway to the Schynige Platte at the edge of a mountain ridge. After time at the top we descend to the valley floor and return to Interlaken from where we join the Harder Funicular to travel up to Harder Kulm with its great views down onto the town and the mountains beyond.
* Today takes us to the highest railway station in Europe at Jungrajoch. We start by travelling through Spiez and Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen where the climbing really starts. Our narrow gauge train heads up the side of the valley to reach the mountain resort of WEngen and then continues to Kleine Scheideggwhere we change to the Jungfrau Railway. At least we reach Junfraujoch, the 'Top of Europe' at 11,300ft. On a clear day the views over the Alps are stunning, we have time to enjoy the attractions and have lunch before descending via Kleine Scheidegg to the mountain resort of Grindelwald and back to Aeschi.
There will be two free days during which your travel passes will be valid. On the first, your Tour Manager will escort those who wish to the mountain village of Murren above the Lauterbrunnen Valley. There will be various options before the return journey to Aeschi including an ascent of the cable car to the top of the Schilthorn (supplement payable). The other free day will enable you to visit a variety of other scenic destinations or return to somewhere you have particularly liked earlier in the holiday
We travel by coach back to Zurich Airport for our flight back to the UK then our door to door service home.B
Apart from the charter coach from and back to the airport all our travelling in Switzerland will be by scheduled public transport. It will be important to arrive at departure points in good time and to move swiftly between connections at certain stations, many Swizz stations do not have lifts or escalators.
THIS HOLIDAY IS NOT SUITABLE FOR ANYONE WITH MOBILITY PROBLEMS
B=Breakfast Included, D=Dinner Included
HOTEL AESCHI PARK 4 star
Situated in the heart of the village of Aeschi which sits on a ridge between the Kander Valley and Lake Thun. Bedrooms have ensuite facilities, mini-bar and balcony or terrace.
Door to door service
9 nights dinner, bed & breakfast at the hotel Aeschi Park
8 day second closs Bernese Oberland Regional Pass (plus Jungfrau extension)
Services of a Tour Manager throughout
£100 single supplement
Below is a list of pick-up points available on this tour.
Below is a list of pick-up points available on this tour.
|Abergele Water Street|| Abergele, Water Street |
Opposite Bowling Green
|Bangor Station|| Bangor, Bus Stop Opposite Railway Station |
|Caernarfon Morrissons|| Caernarfon, Morrissons Bus Stop |
|Chester Holiday Inn South|| Chester, Holiday Inn South |
|Chirk, Moreton Park|| Chirk, Moreton Park Garden Centre |
|Colwyn Bay Station|| Colwyn Bay, Station |
|Deganwy Station Bus Stop|| Deganwy Station Bus Stop |
|Ewloe St Davids Park|| Ewloe, MainRoad Outside St Davids Park Hotel |
|Llandegai One Stop|| Llandegai, One Stop Service Station |
|Llandudno Jct Station|| Llandudno Junction Station Car Park |
|Llandudno Mostyn Broadway|| Llandudno, Mostyn Broadway Coach Park, Bus Stop |
|Llanfair PG Park and Ride|| Llanfair PG Park and Ride, off Britannia Bridge |
|Mold, Chester Street|| Mold, Chester Street, nr Bus Stn |
|Northop Red Lion|| Northop, Red Lion Pub |
|Penrhyn Bay, PO|| Penrhyn Bay, Post Office |
|St Asaph Bod Erw|| St Asaph, Bod Erw Hotel |
|Wrexham King Street|| Wrexham King Street Bus Station |
Opposite taxi rank
|From Price||Book Now||Call Back||Telephone||Favourites|
| Show/Hide Pricing |
There is no pricing information available. Please contact us for more information.
The website timed out while searching for the departure dates. Please try again.
|Room Types||Price Per-Person|